Sunday, December 19, 2004

Pain, Pain, Go Away...

I'm looking forward to my appointment regarding the kidney disease, which is coming up on Wednesday, December 22nd. That's the day I'll see the nephrologist. Hopefully he'll have more information for me. The way I see it, there are three things he might say to me:

1) "Yes, it is Polycystic Kidney Disease." I can live with that (so to speak) because I've done some reading on it, have largely settled into the idea of having it, and am prepared to accept it.

2) "It's not PKD; instead, it is..." If he names some other disease, I'll have to "start over", doing reading and research. It might be a good thing if it's not PKD. But it might also be a bad thing, since there's always something worse.

3) "We still can't be sure what this is. You need more tests." That would be the most frustrating of the three scenarios. I just want to know what's going on. I want to give it a name and a diagnosis, because once I know for sure what the problem is, then I can move forward. I hate being stuck in this "don't-know" area where I can't really take the next step because the identity of the disease is not absolutely confirmed.

I'm hoping for an answer like either #1 or #2 on Wednesday.

The pain lately has been coming and going. Last Thursday I didn't even need to take a hydrocodone (the generic Vicodin) because I felt relatively good all day. But on Friday my back way hurting like hell most of the day and night. Saturday, too, I was in significant pain.

No comments: