Monday, November 17, 2008

What a mess I'm in

Everybody already knows I struggle with depression, so I won't go into that. But start with that already in place, and now add this: When I left work to drive home today, I got the flashing light bars behind me. The officer just told me I need to mount my license plate on the bumper; it's been in my back window for a year now since somebody rear-ended me badly and I haven't got it repaired. I can do that, no problem. Then he asked for my license, ownership papers for the car, and proof of insurance. License, check. Papers, check. Insurance... well, when I lost my previous job a year ago I struggled for months and almost wound up homeless. My insurance lapsed during that time, and I've never renewed it. I was driving without insurance. I got a ticket for $550 which has to be payed in 14 days. I drove the remaining 27 miles home. I pulled into the garage then stepped out and grabbed the mail. There was an electric shutoff notice from Puget Sound Energy. My electricity is to be shut off on Friday if I don't pay. Oh yeah, and my gas bill is extremely overdue as well. I logged into my online banking and found barely $700. *sigh* I'm trying to make it work. I worked out a payment plan with the power company, and made the first payment online. So my power won't be shut off Friday. Thursday is a payday, though it will be a smaller-than-usual one. I'll mail a check for the $550 ticket on Friday. Meanwhile, I need to reactivate my insurance, and I have no idea how much that will cost. I wonder if they'll raise my rate because I was driving without insurance for a year? Christ, I am incredibly stressed out, miserable, and barely scraping through life. As bad as the money problems are at the moment, I still have to say the loneliness is far worse. I can handle stress, and I can work through temporary money problems. But I can't handle the silence and emptiness. Off to figure out how to attach my license plate to the bumper...

No comments: